Chris Wright

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Why Are We Afraid Of Showing Our Colors?

The one thing that I love is American politics. Everything about it says "America!".

Red, White, and Blue. Stars and Stripes. The Bald Eagle. Apple Pie. Baseball. Philadelphia. Boston. The thirteen original colonies. The Boston Tea Party. The Revolutionary War. The Civil War. Washington. Jefferson. Lincoln. Civil Rights. Jim Crow. Slavery. Women's Rights. March on Washington. Selma to Alabama. Martin Luther King. JFK. Watergate. Nixon. Barack Obama. And on and on and on. It's a mural in my mind when I think of all the things that make America great. I love our history. I love our passion. I love our wars both verbal and physical. Mostly, I love American Politics. It's what makes us who we are.

I love that everyone has an opinion. I love that everyone takes a side. Red versus Blue. Democrats versus Republicans. Conservatives versus Liberals. Christianity versus Liberalism. Conservatives versus alternative families. Liberals versus the constitution. Progressives versus Conservatives. We are all of this and more. But yet...

We are afraid. Why is that? Why are we afraid to say what we think? Say how we feel? Express what is on our minds? We are in what is considered to be the most free society in the world and yet, we would prefer to stay silent about our political thoughts and position on politics, current events and societal subjects, for fear that others may think differently of us. We would prefer to stay tight lipped and hide behind apathy and disregard in order to remain peaceful and avoid confrontation.

I have a lot of acquaintances, both personal and professional. I have friends and family whom I love dearly. And they all know that I can be opinionated and somewhat of a loose cannon. At the same time, I am respectful and hope to live a life that garners respect and admiration. That said, I am not afraid to lose people because of my political and social   beliefs. If someone cannot respect me or like me any longer because I have a philosophy on the course of our country, then I do not need them in my life or around me.

I am Blue to the core. I am a democrat. I love Barack Obama. I love his policies. I love what he stands for. I love his vision for America. I am a Liberal. I believe in hope and change. I believe in same sex marriage. I believe in interracial marriage. I believe in socialized healthcare. I believe in social security. I believe in charity, welfare, and family security. I believe that our immigration laws need to be amended. I believe in Made in USA. I believe in keeping jobs in the USA. And I believe in equality for all regardless of race, creed or color. If anything that I just wrote offends you, please do not stop reading. But why should it offend you? And why would you be afraid to tell me your philosophy?

These subjects, though incendiary are vital to understanding our personalities. Yes, people can make assumptions. For instance, if you say, "i'm a conservative or republican". Some will automatically resort to terms like bigot, racist, non-conformist, and other not so fine distinctions. When I say that I am liberal, some will jump to the conclusion that I too am a racist on the other side. That I am tolerant. That I am God-less or non-Christian. The one that I've heard most recently is Un-American; because it is believed that Liberals want to "throw away The Constitution". But is this why so many shy away from a view that truly defines who they are? I love to ask people their political views. It is a shame that it's so taboo. It is one of the most personal questions that you can ask someone and you might cringe as the words seep through your mouth if you dare ask.

"So, what is your political affiliation? Who do you support? What are your thoughts on same sex marriage?" These are questions that are sure to spark an emotional reaction. And now more than ever, the mere mention of the word "Obama" arouses pride, anger, fear, hope, and bitterness. It is the first time in my memory where the guy, not the policies, evoked so much gut reaction. And it makes people afraid to let those emotions show.

I am a huge social networker; facebook, twitter, and others. I also run a DJ business. I have customers. Many of my acquaintances are also business owners as well. And they, most of all, are very afraid to dabble in political conversation and emotion. Yes, they will "like" a post here, comment on a picture there. But it's very hard to get many to engage in political conversation. One of my best friends and biggest political adversaries removed me from his feed. He does not like mixing business and politics at all. Some say it's fear that they could lose business or that people would avoid hiring them based on their political or social views. I feel differently about that subject. Many corporations openly support political parties with well advertised donations and fundraisers. A lot of local business will post campaign signs in front of their businesses or display banners.

Recently, a bakery refused service to Vice President Joe Biden and Secret Service because of her political beliefs. Chick-Fil-A CEO gave his opinion on same sex marriage. Yes, sometimes, these situations come with a consequence; a loss of business here, a protest there. But people know who you are and where you stand. I was DJ'ing a wedding recently. It was a fun wedding. Everyone had a ball. I loved the bride and groom as well as the family. At the end of the night, we all agreed that we had a great time. The groom came to me at the end of the night to shake my hand and give me a tip. He said, "I don't agree with your politics, but you're a helluva DJ and a super nice guy!". I smiled and said thank you. He knew my politics because he and his new wife added me on facebook several months prior. Yeah, they could have fired me or decided to get a DJ that thinks more like them. And I would not have cared either way. It would not have stopped me from campaigning for my president or making post that champion my causes. But this couple got to know me. All of me. Their DJ and some. And I'm ok with that. 

Do not be afraid Americans. We built this country based on a constitution. A constitution with the first amendment being "Freedom of Speech" and furthermore, Free political speech. You need not fear retaliation. The consequence that you might face is that you might lose a supporter or an acquaintance, maybe even a small amount of business. But you will not lose true friends. You will not lose family. And you will not lose customers who value your freedom. Take pride in the fact that you will not lose your dignity. Be who you are.

1 comment: