Chris Wright

Friday, January 29, 2010

The Changing Of The Yards

Danny is a guest writer on the blog. He hails from Rotterdam Junction and he's a Syracuse Alum. Welcome Danny to the fold. Because he's right, even when he's wrong.


By
Danny DeOrazio

With everything that has changed throughout my life, there’s been only one thing that’s always been there, sports. They have always been a big part of my life, and will be forever. If you’re anything like me, then you have cheered, booed, yelled and cried over your favorite team or player. When you’re this into it there are superstitions, rituals and traditions involved. But somewhere along the path of my life filled with sports, the meaning of sports and sportsmanship has lost its swagger.

Think back to the days when you were a kid, growing up in the 80’s (maybe 90’s for some of my younger friends)… Think the idea of sportsmanship is the same to the athletes of today to those of the ‘glory days’ of sports??? To me it’s not even close. Athletes and (especially) big wigs have thought way too hard on how to make the game faster, fairer, and more profitable. I get it, sports is a business and without profit there’s no business but C’MON MAN, is enough ever enough?

Have you ever heard so many hubbubs about so many over privileged athletes ever in your life? Everything is news nowadays, too. Everyone wants to know everything about everyone, and then try to break it down. I’ll admit it, I’m part of the millions that want to know about what athletes beat their spouses, had infidelities, or used drugs, but where’s the line going to be drawn? So many people are so quick to judge Tiger Woods for his demise on Thanksgiving night, but I say “What is he the first person to ever cheat on his wife?” People should think about the people they’re surrounded by and the lives they live before judging someone else. Well, personally, I’m gonna root more than ever for Tiger when he comes back to golf, and I can guarantee I’m not alone.

The controversy on the use of steroids/PEDs/whatever in sports, especially baseball, will unfortunately be around forever. Thanks dicks! I used to absolutely love Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco when they were the Bash Brothers on the A’s! It kinda brought the excitement back into baseball, adding the long ball and taking away dominating pitchers like Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens (yea I added him!). Everyone loves some offense right? Mostly, with me as an exception. I am, and always have been, defensive-minded. Love pitching, loved linebackers like LT and Mike Singletary. To me, anyone can learn to score a bucket or throw a pigskin, but defending your territory is where it’s at. In baseball, the gloves, the bats, the cleats, etc… have all improved to grow with the times, but what about the pitchers? Last time I checked, the ball itself is the same it’s always been…. How about making the ball a little smaller and we’ll see how many homers precious A-Roid puts up this year? I will say that MLB has gone through humongous strides regarding PED use in the past few years. That being said, anyone wanna take my bet than NOBODY will ever hit more than 61 homeruns in one year in my lifetime?

Instant Replays…Booth Reviews…Stupid Penalties….OH MY!!! Remember back in time when there were no replays?!? Whatever the referee or umpire called, that was it; no ifs ands or buts. Well, now we have instant replays that go to reviews to make sure the call is right. Granted, the review usually confirms the call, but how much do you still hate it when 50,000+ fans, 2 or 3 idiot announcers and one drunken idiot watching it on a 31” TV can see the play clear as day, thru bloodshot eyes??? I’m not saying the Twins would’ve won that one infamous game against the Yankees in the 2009 AL playoffs when not 1, not 2, that’s right 3 calls that a deaf and dumb pig could’ve got right in real time. But nobody can say it would’ve had NO effect on the game, or you’re just another Yankee fan.

Ya’ll can rest easy though; I have a solution to this instant replay/booth review conundrum. There needs to be “Reality Reviewers” at each and every major sports game. What I mean is a group of ‘trained eyes’, tested with countless hours of replays that can bring an unbiased judgment of a play, in reasonable time. Too many times do I see a review that takes 5 minutes or more and it’s not even the correct call. I consider myself a good, fair judge even if it’s against my team, and could make these calls within 30 seconds. I just want a fair call that doesn’t interrupt the flow of the game. Too much to ask?? … And I don’t even want to start in on how quarterbacks can’t get touched anymore! … Or the ‘Tuck Rule’.

Being a kid that grew up 5 foot nothing, 100 nothing pounds, I didn’t have all the athletic advantages as a lot of others I knew. I played golf. I think I was pretty good, but my family didn’t have the $$$ to give me what I needed to make it, because I wasn’t THAT good. All I can say, without any doubt in the world that if I somehow made it into the NFL, MLB, or PGA or wherever, you probably wouldn’t see me in the news a lot. Whenever I see someone cheating in the game, on their wife, bringing guns to the locker room or just running their mouth off I just laugh to myself and change my perspective on their lives. There’s no use making a martyr out of anyone, because someone will just do something even dumber pretty soon, it’s a given. For me just about anything can be forgiven and everyone deserves a second chance. I understand wanting to get a leg up on the competition, I understand coaches and players that shoot off their mouths, I get it. Except for Michael Vick, I love animals too much. Being the ‘Eye for an Eye’ believer I am, think his punishment should’ve been to have fought to the death with some other felon when he was locked up. Who’s with me???

Luckily, there is one sporting event that has not really changed during my lifetime: (minus adding 1 more irrelevant team) THE NCAA BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT. To me, college sports mean a whole lot more than the pros, because they’re not doing it for money. Only a small percentage will go on to the pros, the rest are playing for the glory of not only themselves, but for their coaches and their college buddies that they see walking down the quad. I happened to have seen my alma mater Syracuse University in their remarkable run in the 2003 NCAA tournament. I saw them in Albany, out in Boston, but didn’t make it to New Orleans. I happened to be in Syracuse for work. I went to the Carrier Dome and watched the championship game between the Orange and the Kansas Jayhawks. Who cares? Me, because I was the kid who in 1987 cried for days when my Orangemen lost on a last second shot by Keith Smart, giving the championship to Indiana. I may have been past my time as a student at Syracuse, but being amongst the other 8000+ current students in the Dome, I dropped to my knees and started crying again. Tears of joy this time! Thank you NCAA for keeping it real!

The Syracuse/NCAA reference was put in to show proof that sports can remain traditional, ethical and consistent enough to take a 8-year old crying-ass kid, and turn him into a gleaming 24-year old alumnus, and now into a 31-year old bracketologist. I just wish now that someone slaps some sense into the BCS committee……. What a mess!?!

2 comments:

  1. I disagree about 61 homers. Ryan Howard is young. When he figures out the strike zone. He will hit 70.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work Deez. Couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete