Chris Wright

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tiger Test Our Religion


By Chris Wright

I ended my last blog entry saying how the Tiger Woods issue raises serious concern about who we are as human beings and what life means.

I took another day to reflect on that statement and I listened to more talk radio and rants from sports fans and analyst. I wanted to make sure that what I was thinking was on the right path. And of course...I was. You know me. I'm Wright even when I'm wrong. I am an emotional person when it comes to certain issues like anyone else. My biggest pet peeve is human judgment and unforgiveness. That, more than anything else really gets my blood boiling. Because everything that we need to know in order to live in this world, we learn by age 5. Then we just forget it all. One of the biggest lesson that we learn and one of the biggest lessons that we teach our children is forgiveness. But as adults, we fall short. Then the other thing that we teach our children is to not judge and not be mean. And as adults, we fall short.

On my Facebook page, long before the the fateful Thanksgiving of 2009 when the Tiger Issue began, the Religion question on my profile says: I am Tiger Woods. I was making mockery of the Nike commercial back in the late 90s when all of the children were saying "I am Tiger Woods". It was surreal and almost like a religious following. I could hear billions of human beings across the world saying in the same tone, "I am Jesus Christ". It was only Tiger Woods' second year as a pro when that commercial was on TV and already, he had been exalted to a deity-like form. "I am Tiger Woods". Once this scandal broke and the world turned their backs on him; the same world that followed him like disciples in the gallery, the world who replaced his posters on the walls with crucifix, and the same world that cringed at the very mention of his name, I wondered, should I keep my Religion status on Facebook as "I am Tiger Woods". I did. And it will remain.

Now more than ever it applies. The selection of that religious status was prolific and profound beyond my understanding. Tiger Woods is a man that the world has looked up to and exalted, not only because he could swing a golf club, but because he was perfect in every way possible. Though we thought. He was everything that we could not be or never imagine ourselves to be. He displayed poise and grace. He practiced hard and played hard. He spoke well. Here was a figure that we could finally tell our children to emulate. He seemed to transcend human life. He was more a than a man. He was loved by most. There were and still are those that hate him. And I do mean hate him. And there was good reason to not like him. He cursed and grimaced on the golf course. He is a very private man and never gave us much of his human side. He wasn't Phil Mickelson. So I can understand a few detractors. When this is all said and done and placed in the history books, somewhere between 1 Peter and Revelations, the most relevant lesson from the Book of Tiger will be one who strived for perfection, but fell short because of human frailty. Not because of temptation, but because of the opportunity and unlimited access to things that tempt.

That's right believers. We are only as religious as our opportunities to sin. This is why the older you get, the more religious you get. Many of you go to church. Look at all the grey hair in the pews. They can see the finish line. They can see the light. They have booked their reservation for a table for one in God's Cafe. And they are going to do everything possible to make sure they don't lose that seat. We remember the best Biblical lessons, not from going to church, but from our Grandmothers and Grandfathers. We say, "Gramma used to always say, Judge not and ye not be judged". Grandpa would always say, "he who is without sin, cast the first stone". Yes believers, we remember these lessons because ole folks taught us. But when you're young and vibrant and life is calling from every port and destination, we are tempted to go where life calls. Cancun, Vegas, LA, Times Square, Girls, Hotties, Money, Cars, Bling, The Jersey Shore... ok, maybe not the Jersey Shore...but you get my point. Oh its so hard being a young religious person. Too many opportunities. Too many chances to sin. And you think, can I do this for 60 more years? Go without?

And to think, you make a thousand dollars a week if you're lucky!!! Can you imagine making a thousand dollars an hour? Then imagine your choices. My goodness! Married men, you might get propositioned by women once every few months. As you're walking through Price Chopper picking up Huggies, a woman passing by gives you that look, squints her eyes and you imagine her to say.. "mmm.. i love a man in a dale earnhardt ballcap. especially when he has the jacket to match. and he's a dad too. come'er big daddy". Or you're in Lowe's deciding which door knob would look better on the first floor bathroom door and you're interrupted by a Hot Mom with a charming smile, holding on to her 3 year old by the the hood of his hoodie. And she sensually says, "do you know which aisle the picture hangers are on?". You melt. "If only I wasn't married". Guys, you have NO idea what temptation is! Now let's combine the two. You make a thousand dollars per hour and you have the whole Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue coming at you daily, not to mention a few Applebee's waitresses and your son's teacher; If you make it through the MONTH without one slip up, you're good. If you make it through the year, you're Ghandi, and if you NEVER submit, then praise the Lord, give me what HE'S having. Because that's the kind of control that I want.

Believers, this is not about Tiger or his transgressions. This is about us. This is about religious beliefs. Human beings. Forgiveness and judgment.
The Bible: If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them. if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.
The Qu'ran: And whoever does evils or wrongs himself but afterwards seeks Allah's forgiveness, he will find Allah Oft-giving, most merciful.

Buddaism: If we do not forgive, we keep creating an identity around our pain, and that is what is reborn. That is what suffers.

The Bible: Do not judge and ye will not be judged. Do not condemn and ye will not be condemned. Forgive not and ye will not be forgiven.

The Torah: When asked by an offender for forgiveness, one should forgive with a sincere mind and a willing spirit, for forgiveness is a natural seed of Israel.

Hinduism: O Lord forgive these sins that are due to my human limitations.

So I quoted from most of the religions in America minus Wiccan and Satanism and they all pretty much say the same thing. They say that we must forgive. And if forgiveness is a the cornerstone of religion and many of you shout to the roof tops that you're God-fearin' creatures who post Facebook scripture daily and weekly, then where is your forgiveness in regards to Tiger or the actions of Tiger? No crime was commited. No murder, no rape, no child molestation, no thievery, no embezzlement, torture, or assault. But I hear people on the radio yelling; yes YELLING at how horrible Tiger is and how weak and pathetic he is. People saying that his apology is a joke. Some even condemning him for apologizing at all. Some said, "too little, too late". Some said that Elin wasn't there and that was significant. Well Tiger's been invisible for 3 months. You don't think he apologized to her a million times? But I guess YOU want to hear him apologize to his wife and all will be good in your world.

I will wrap this up with this. If we take anything we have learned from school, church or parenting, we should look at this situation and give thanks. Thanks that once again, we have been taught another lesson. Like AIDS in the 80's made us think twice about our sexual promiscuity, maybe the Tiger Issue will make us think twice about infidelity. While Tiger's fall from grace is much higher than the few steps that we might fall down, the lesson should be the same, yet more significant. While infidelity in an average persons life might cost him or her a spouse, kids, a home and several thousand dollars; Tiger could lose millions, fame, and respect in the court of public opinion as well.

Tiger gave a 13 minute apology in front of the world. Who would YOU apologize too? In my mind, in that 13 minutes, only 8 seconds mattered. And that was when he said, "For all that I have done, I am so sorry." Nuff said Tiger. Nuff Said.

No comments:

Post a Comment