Chris Wright

Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Where You Been?" - signed Avid Reader


That's what I received in a Facebook message the other day. It made me feel good because bloggers think that only close friends, moms, and coerced people read their stuff. It's good to know that some people actually miss you when you don't write. It's been a few weeks since I last wrote anything. I mean nothing. The most I wrote was 'Love Daddy' and 'Love Chris' on Valentine's Day cards, but other than that, not much.

So what have I been doing. Let's see. I started working in Albany in January, in my new office with a new team. That in itself has been an overwhelming new experience. Although I'm doing the same job that I'd done in Utica/Syracuse, everything is quite different. I feel like like a left a job working in a bank to working at the New York Stock Exchange. Fun, fast-paced, electric, exciting, and flat out busy. So much to do in so little time. My days fly. I'm re-learning the Capital Region. It ain't what it was when I left it. It's more subdued. A little tame. I can also attribute that to me being 4 years older with a family and a real job. See, when I last lived in Albany, I worked for Enterprise Ren-ta-cah. And then I was a pharmaceutical rep. HOLD ON Enterprise folks, I'm not saying your jobs aren't real. I just remember how much we partied and drank on a daily basis. We are very close knit, like family. Forty percent of my Facebook friends are former Enterprisers. Some of my best memories are from working there. But one of the things you rarely hear from Enterprisers is, "IT'S FRIDAY". Because they don't care. If you don't know, let me explain, everyday was Friday. It was just a matter of where we were going. And I worked from Saratoga to Poughkeepsie, so the spots were abundant; Rafferty's, P&G's, Juniors, City Tavern, DA's, The Bullpen, Rusty Nail, Bayou, Cabaloosa, Mad River, and the list goes on. So yeah, Enterprisers work hard, but they party harder. Up at 5:30am and lucky to be back in bed by 2am the next night. We did it big.

Then there was my pharmaceutical rep job. Well... position, I should call it. Many of my friends still do this job, so I'll tread lightly when talking about it. What I remember most about pharma is driving. And driving. And more driving. And parking. And driving. Then more parking. Oh, I remember the drug launches. Who hoooo! And I remember driving. Everything else was a blur.

So back to what I've been doing. Like I said, Ye Ole Capital Region is different. So I'm getting used to that again. My drinking, partying, and womanizing hours are now spent commuting, shopping, and eating. That's what fathers/husbands do. We drive, shop and eat. At Golden Corrals and Friendly's and other fine family establishments. But it's fun and rewarding. I'm re-learning traffic. There was no traffic in Central NY. Except for the occasional congestion off the 90 exit at Carrier Circle in Syracuse at 7:55am. Then there was the back up on Genesee St and the Arterial in Utica because there's a traffic light every 30 feet. Nothing like the Northway at 7am and 5pm. So I'm adjusting.

I rediscovered sleep. Last week, I was sick and I use that word lightly. I think I was more fatigued/dehydrated than anything. I came home from work, popped 2 Tylenol PMs and that was it! A new discovery. That's what's been missing in my life. So now, I've been popping one at night before bed. The TPMs does two things. It helps me sleep and it cuts some of the minor aches and pains that I get from being cramped in a car all day. From driving, shopping, and eating.

I've been awakened and rejuvenated by Tiger speaking! It woke me up and turned on the creative juices. I'm ready to write again. I listened to Tiger talk all day yesterday and listened to and read people's reactions. And people, we've got problems. The Tiger issue raises serious concerns about who we are as human beings and what life means. It's my job to point that out to you. So get ready for my wrath.

No comments:

Post a Comment